7/08/13 UPDATE!! Dear friends! I have completed the fast! Thank you for the donations and inspirations offered. On day 28, I had a full blood panel and urinalysis done….My numbers were perfect except a longstanding but better “bad” cholesterol reading and high keytone count (signifying I was going into or in starvation mode.) During the entire fast, I had not so much as a headache except the last two days (a sudden bout of nausea and cramping).
Yesterday, I have begun to teach the body to accept food, again, in small increments. In a while, I will share a few insights gained during this experience. Suffice it to say, for now, I understand physical hunger…I understand mental craving for food.
Please make this communion with the plight of the Untouchables and at-risk youth count. If everyone on our mailing list just supported this fasting effort with $1 a day for 30 days, it would cover the entire projects costs for the wells, micro-loan fund and educational center to be completed when we return to Tamil Nadu in a few months. A very little from a lot of people goes a long way.
We will give a financial update on August 1st. Thank you to all who gave, fasted, wanted to give, and wanted to fast!
Venerable Pannavati is undertaking a “bearing witness” water fast from June 7 through July 6, 2013. The purpose of the fast, in her own words:
“It is to bear witness to the voicelessness…the hunger and homelessness…the lack of clean water, community resources and simple dignity for today’s young people, both near and far. We hear the plea often too late as the rash of hopeless, violent acts committed by young people against humanity increase in our communities. We can understand why if we stop thinking so much about our own comforts and just listen. Some of us will then turn down our plates, get out our checkbooks, lace up our shoes and be part of the solution. I don’t have money, giving my time is no sacrifice. So, I am fasting because I like food. My appetite is all that I have to give away that really matters. ”
She will be fasting 720 hours. You can partner with us by:
- personally pledging any amount towards one of our 3 projects. Some friends are organizing group pledges of $720 representing $1 per hour actually fasted; or $30 for 30 days
- Others, such as Pastor Judith Toy of Cloud Cottage Mindfulness Community are sponsoring a one day or one week fast in solidarity at their own church, sangha or organization and forwarding donations;
- Friends are simply supporting one dinner $10; one day $24, one weekend $48, one week $168.
- Some supporters are pledging $100 a day or giving a specific amount for a designated need, e.g., like wells or housing or a vehicle for the youths’ bakery.
- Some supporters are joining the effort by hosting fundraisers in their home or sangha, like John Muifsud of Sliema House in Oakland, CA. Pannavati will begin her fast at that event and give a talk on “Stillness in Courage,”
- Your donations are tax deductible. Every one, no matter how large or small will receive an acknowledgment.
$5,000 will build one well to serve approximately 3,000 untouchables when shared by two villages. We need 3 wells, but will be endeavoring to install 2 this trip.
The salary for a traveling teacher in India to serve 10 villages is only $2,400 for the year.
At My Place in rural America, we can house and provide supervision for up to 20 youth through December 2013 (6 months) for only $20,000 — the cost of keeping 2 inmates in NC correctional institution over the same period. — AND see to it that they receive medication, counseling, GED’s, career training and job placement.
We can feed, clothe and educate a girl in Thailand for only $1,000 a year with sponsorships to take them through college thanks to gifts like Bhikkhu Bodhi’s which has helped with educational grants for ordaining women in Rayong. Will you help made a difference?
- HENDERSONVILLE NC (Appalachia): training homeless and at-risk youth for conscious living through My Place and My Gluten Free Bread Company (housing, education, jobs, independence/social skills). 70% of non-profit agencies lost significant NC state funding in 2010. In 2011, 63 % of those lost additional funding, in 2012, 35% lost more funding. Now, for FY 2013-2014, the state wants to cut 100% (completely eliminate) all economic development partnerships, close the remaining 3 state mental health facilities, have already cut outside case management services 100%. There are NO OTHER PROGRAMS providing the demographic we serve with services truly needed to develop them into self-sustaining adults.
- RAYONG AND RURAL THAILAND: training women as monastics for spiritual leadership and helping stem societal denigration, sex and slave trafficking, and abuse of girls in Thailand through empowerment programs for women.
- TAMIL NADU VILLAGES, INDIA: empowerment, water, education for Dalit women and youth in India. (Dalits are called “Untouchables” and considered “non-human” by Hindu tradition. They are destined to serve out a life of indignity and brutality. We are building schools, providing ESL teachers, installing wells, providing micro-loans for women ($500 investments) to care for their families, teaching a Dharma of social equality
EMAIL, PANNAVATI’S ASSISTANT, SANDY, (assistantESH1@yahoo.com) OR VENERABLE PANNAVATI AT THIS WEBSITE, OR DIRECTLY AT PANNAVATI2@YAHOO.COM IF YOU’D LIKE TO PARTNER WITH HER DURING THIS FAST, HOST A SPEAKING ENGAGEMENT OR PARTICIPATE IN THE INDIA “BEARING WITNESS” RETREAT DECEMBER 4TH THROUGH 19TH.
LET’S GET OFF THE PILLOW AND DO SOMETHING TOGETHER FOR HUMANITY.